Pense nisso:

Estranho é igual sabonete: quanto mais você usa, menor ele fica.


segunda-feira, 21 de setembro de 2009

Rule #1: smoking is strictly forbidden!

Vamos colocar os pingos nos i's.

Checking if something is allowed. --> Use CAN ou MAY*
(Isso é permitido?)

A: Can I ask you a question?
B: Sure.
A: Can I use your car tonight?
B: I'm sorry, I'm going to drive my girlfriend home after class.

A: Mr. Wilson, may I go to the bathroom?
B: No, Tommy, you may not. Finish your assignment.

A: Can I smoke in here?
B: Please don't! But you can smoke outside, in the parking lot.

A: Dad, can I go to the beach with my friends on the weekend?
B: Who exactly are your friends, Liz?
A: Well, you know.
B: As a matter of fact, I don't.
A: You know, dad, Tara, Susie, Christine... Brad...
B: I'm sorry, Liz. You're too young. You can't go to the beach with your boyfriend.

Checking if something is necessary. --> Use HAVE TO.
(Isso é necessário/obrigatório?)

A: Do the students have to wear a uniform here?
B: Yes, they do. It's for their own protection.

A: Do you have to get up early every day?
B: Yes, I do. I have to be in the office by 8 o'clock.

A: Do I have to get a dictionary?
B: Well, you don't have to, but you definitely should get one. And make sure it's an English-English dictionary.

A: Why is Ted leaving?
B: He has to be home before midnight. His parents are really tough.

Checking if something is advisable. --> Use SHOULD.
(Isso é uma boa idéia?)

A: Look, Liz gave me her phone number. Should I call her?
B: Well, she gave you her phone number. I think you should call her.

A: My co-workers always surf the web during office hours. Do you think I should talk to my boss about it?
B: I think you should talk to them first. Maybe it's not a big problem. Maybe it doesn't interfere with their work.

A: I bumped into a car in the parking lot last week. I was talking on the phone.
B: You should be more careful when you drive. It seems you crash your car almost every week!

A: My English hasn't been improving lately.
B: You should study a little more.

A: I'm too stressed out. I can't concentrate.
B: Man, you should definitely go on vacation.

Saying something is forbidden --> Use CAN'T
(Isso é proibido.)

A: Hey, you can't smoke in here!
B: Sorry, I'll put it out.

A: I can't come with you guys to the bar tonight.
B: Why not?
A: I have to write a huge law paper.

A: You can't talk in here. This is a library!
B: Sorry, we won't talk anymore.
C: We promise!

A: It's so unfair. Girls can wear skirts, but I can't wear shorts to work.
B: Well, we can't pee standing. So I guess we're even.

Saying something is optional --> Use DON'T HAVE TO
(Isso fica a seu critério. Se quiser fazer, você faz. Se não quiser, não faz. Cada um com seus problemas e eu não tenho nada a ver com isso. :P)

A: Do I have to bring something for your mother when I come for dinner on Friday?
B: You don't have to bring anything. She would love it if you brought a bottle of red wine, though.

A: Let me do the dishes for you.
B: Oh, you don't have to do that, honey.
A: You don't have to cook dinner for me, but you do it every Friday anyway.
B: Because I love you, sweetpea.

A: Who were you talking to on the phone earlier? Sorry! You don't have to tell me that. I'm being invasive.
B: No, darling, it's okay. I know I don't have to tell you, but I want to. I want to tell you everything.

* Eu já vi pessoas que preferem que o MAY seja sempre usado para pedir permissão. Especialmente pessoas mais maduras, mais conservadoras. O que se percebe no dia-a-dia, no entanto, é que o CAN acaba roubando a cena.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário